Friday, January 14, 2011

Make Your Own Baby Wipes

When someone first mentioned this to me I thought "that's crazy! what can work like store bought baby wipes??" But, with going down to one income for C's first two years and Baby K coming along and having to go back to work we needed to save some money. So, one day I was out of wipes and I thought, "okay I'll give this a try and maybe I'll save some money. How hard could it be?"

Actually, not hard at all, and it does save you money. I've been doing this for almost a year now and I thought I would share it with you.

There are a ton of "recipes" for home made baby wipes around the internet but, this is the one I use that works for me.

1 jumbo roll Bounty paper towels (these are really thick and won't disintegrate)

1 1/2 cups hot water (if you use a regular size roll of paper towels you'll need less water)

1 Tbs baby wash (I have used Johnson & Johnson and also generic Target brand baby sensitive)

1 Tbs baby oil (whichever you prefer)

You will also need a container to keep them in. I use an old ice cream tub that has a handle on it.


Ingredients

1. Cut your paper towel roll in half and remove cardboard cylinder. You can save one half for your next batch.


2. Heat your water in the microwave for 2 minutes. Place your halved paper towels cut side down in your container.

3. Add baby wash and baby oil to water and stir gently to not create bubbles.

4. Pour mixture over paper towel roll. Put lid on container and flip upside down for 5 minutes to let mixture get all the way through.


5. Use wipes!

Easy! This usually lasts me a week or so depending on how messy the kids' diapers are, if you only have one child in diapers it would probably lasts 2-3 weeks. And you still have the other paper towel half for the next batch. This is also a great idea for babies with skin allergies because you can use whichever baby wash and oils your baby is able to tolerate. And if you're really creative you can decorate the container and give these as a shower gift with the recipe attached.

3 comments:

  1. awesomeness!! I wish the internet had been around when my kiddos were babies...would have saved me a ton of money!!! :) BUT....the shower gift idea is wonderful!!! That I can use!! :) and will...you could make the cutest container, thanks for the great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully this is something I no longer have to worry about - but really awesome for those who do, I'll definitely pass the news along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day care my son went to when he was a baby used Bounty. All they did was wet them. Love the idea of making them yourself - less chemicals! YAY!

    ReplyDelete