Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Day Chicken Chili

We had a snow day here today which only happens in Texas because no one knows how to drive when that white stuff starts coming down. It was really fun having Mark home with me and the kids and also a nice break for me.



When I first saw this Chicken Chili recipe over at The Cutting Back Kitchen I wanted to make it right away. But, last week it was 70 degrees and no one wants to eat chili when it's 70 outside. I knew it was supposed to be crazy cold this week so I decided I would make it today. This turned out so well, it's definitely a keeper. One weird/cool thing is that the black beans turned the chicken purple. So, this would be great for all of my TCU tailgating friends! I adapted this recipe from Katie at The Cutting Back Kitchen, if you want to see her original recipe click here.


Chicken Chili

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and cubed
3 cans (or one bag dry) black beans
32 oz chicken broth
16 oz jar of salsa
8 oz shredded Colby jack cheese
2 tsp cumin
1 small can green chilies ( I have awesome in-laws that bring us real green chilies from New Mexico so I used these)

This is so easy! Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours and then on low for 2 more hours. Scoop into bowl and add some shredded cheddar or sour cream. I served it with tortilla chips.

If you use a bag of dry black beans be sure to sort and soak them over night and then put them in the slow cooker on high by themselves for 2-3 hours before you put the rest of the ingredients in.

Yumm!

1 comment:

  1. Looks and sounds yummy. Wow...weird on the purple chicken...ha ha GO FROGS!!! :) Between my facebook friends and blog friends posts, I'm guessing Chili was the number one thing on stoves across Texas yesterday!! :) Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete